Recipe!! Vegan Pot Stickers


So, the Fall semester started on Wednesday. My son and I are back on the grind. Summer break is over. So sad!
But before we officially started, I wanted to make a special treat as one last hurrah. After I saw a package of wonton skins at the grocery store, a gyoza dinner had to happen! Pot stickers are such a comfort food for me, but it’s hard to justify buying them at the store or going to a restaurant (I have a relatively steadfast rule about only buying things with 2 or less ingredients in them—corn chips aside). This recipe is so easy and fun, it’s super kid-friendly. The boy and I whipped up two dozen of these bad billies in 45 minutes—the same amount of time it took to cook the rice. I halved the ginger sesame sauce from the stir fry recipe for dipping and it was aaaawwwweeeesssooommmeee. Feel free to deep fry these, or steam them, or pan fry—they’re great no matter how you heat them up.
 Enjoy,
Tara




Ingredients
    1 red onion
    1 tbsp. ginger, minced
    3 cloves garlic, minced


    1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
    1 cup cabbage, diced
    1 cup carrot, grated
    3 kale leaves, chopped
   
    1 tsp white pepper
    1 tsp sesame oil
    2 tsp liquid aminos (or tamari / soy sauce)
    (I also used a hand-me-down mix of “Asian” spices from Perfect Pinch, primarily because it has orange peels in it but its strangely specific, so I’m not going to explicitly recommend it.)
   
    ½ package of wonton skins
    Canola oil (or whatever you prefer for frying)
    A dish of water and a brush


Directions
  1. Cut up the onion, ginger, and garlic. Heat a little oil and sauté until soft.
    • Note: the ginger must be minced well or you run the risk of biting into a chunk. Although I love ginger, it can be an overpowering flavor…
  1. Dice, grate, and chop the veggies. Throw them into the sauté until the cabbage is soft.  
    • I used frozen mushrooms that caused the final mixture to be wet. The consequent, which isn’t unusual, is that I had to strain the mix.
  1. While the mixture is cooling, set up your wonton station: wonton skins, a water dish, and brush.
    • Make sure to have a dry, clean surface. The skins will stick to anything wet.
  1. Once the mixture has cooled, it’s time to season! Add the aminos, sesame oil, and white pepper and stir until incorporated.
  1. Spoon the filling into the center of the wonton skins, and wet the edges with water.


  1. FOLD.
    • Pinch the top corners together
    • Pull the leftover corners toward the center
    • Pinch the little horns together
    • Repeat
      • Note: This is in no way an authentic wonton fold!
  1. Heat up your oil and stack your ‘tons. Make sure they don’t touch though.
    • Heat until the bottoms are browned.
  1. Once browned, put a quarter cup of water into the pan and cover.
    • Wait until the water is completely evaporated, then uncover and continue browning until they can be removed without sticking (or whenever because they’re done, I just like them crispy).
  1. Eat!
    (Also, look at these green onions from the sesame ginger recipe 2 weeks ago!)

Comments

  1. This looks so delicious! I will definitely try to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a vegan but i can appreciate the need for this. My girlfriend is currently in the process of marketing her own line of Vegan pot Sticker here in Vancouver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I love potstickers! One of my favorites!! Love all those veggies packed in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Potstickers are my favourite, especially veggie ones! Thanks for sharing, will definitely be making these soon.
    Chrissie
    www.aswetravl.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe really looks so delicious and not to difficult to make! I'm going to try and make these for my family this weekend!! Shell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaaaaah potstickers are my favourite!! I had similar ones at a restaurant in Shanghai actually:) They look amazing! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never made pot stickers. I think I need to change that as I love them when I have them in restaurants!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never made my own pot stickers - that needs to change! Just need to find some gluten free wontons... :/ These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to pot stickers. I have been getting into being vegan and I would to try this recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice idea although I just know I would make a mess trying to make these.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you believe I have never tried potstickers?! Maybe now that there is a vegan option I may! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love potstickers. I have never made my own, though. I'd love to try these!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Healthy & Flavorful Vegan Meals

Veganism and Animals: Does veganism really help animals?

Healthy Snacks