Recipe!! Vegan Mushrooms and Swiss Chard with Savory Grits



Today's recipe is going to be a twist on a childhood favorite of mine. Growing up, my best friends Mom would make these AMAZING grits! They were so rich, creamy and delicious. The only down side was that they were not vegan. They had cheese and heavy cream in it, many times it was served with eggs and shrimp. So this definitely did not fit into my new lifestyle. 

After a few months, I was really craving these extra special grits. So I decided to play around with this recipe. I tried replacing all of the ingredients with the vegan alternatives, and it just didn't do it for me. At that point, I knew that I was to have to recreate this recipe.

I started playing around with different flavors and combinations. I actually came across this combination of ingredients completely on accident. I accidentally used sesame oil instead of olive oil (oops!!!!) at the time I could not afford to just through it away and try again

I hope you guys love this as much as me and my family do!

Happy Cooking!
~Stella~



Vegan Mushrooms and Swiss Chard with Savory Grits Recipe
Makes 4 servings

4 cups of prepared Grits
2 cups of button mushrooms cut into fourths
4 cups of swiss chard chopped up
2 tablespoons of sesame oil
2 cloves garlic
1 medium shallot diced
Juice from 1 lemon
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon pepper

-Add the sesame oil, garlic, and onion to a skillet
-Cook until onions are translucent
- Add the mushrooms, chard, lemon juice, soy sauce, and pepper
- Cook until the chard is wilted
- Serve by placing the grits on a plate and the chard mixture on top


Comments

  1. I know what I'm making for dinner! Great idea!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow mouthwatering...i will really have to try my hand at this recipe.. Thanks for sharing.😊
    From,
    www.thegypsygurl.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic idea for dinner! I really want to start introducing more plant based foods in to my diet so what a great way to start

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this. I'm in the process of slowly transitioning into a vegan diet and this will come in handy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so perfect for dinner tonight, never thought of making that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious. How great that you converted an old recipe in a vegan one :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We don't really have grits over in the UK, but I really want to try them now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most of my friends are vegan and would love to have this once they visit my house. Bookmarking this page. Thanks for the share

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm echoing Sus - I really think grits need to make it across the pond!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grits are so good! Haha, but I really love them for breakfast (and sweet ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  11. i will tried it tonight, it looks both yummy and less colouries recipe.Also i will recomment it to my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This one recipe is the perfect and I believe that I will be able to make things perfect for my family and friends. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mushrooms, chard, and grits, three of my favorite things. This sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like something my family would love to eat!!! Shell

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG YES! I live in South Carolina so am definitely a grits girl! ;) Love this combo with mushrooms and chard - perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am always looking for a good Vegan recipe. I am not Vegan, but I love the natural elements to eating clean. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds so good. I love the combo of chard & mushrooms too - sounds like it works a treat here.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh this sounds so delicious! Perfect food for my family dinner.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Healthy & Flavorful Vegan Meals

Veganism and Animals: Does veganism really help animals?

Healthy Snacks