On the Go Snacks!

Having a crazy schedule does not always have to hinder your healthy eating. I try to stay away from overly processed foods, but when you are constantly on the go it can be challenging. On the days where you have to be away from home for hours, it can be difficult to pack snacks that will not perish after a few hours. Transitioning to a cleaner diet, I usually try to have some fruits and vegetables as snacks first so they do not go bad in my bag, and then if I am still hungry, I move on to the packaged snacks, which I use as a last resort.

I usually go to Target or Trader Joe's to get some of my snacks. Lately, I have also realized that Home Goods is a great place to buy snacks as well. These places all have delicious snacks and compared to many other products on the market, many of the foods I find at these places have what I prefer in a snack. When I am snack shopping, I prefer to purchase products with a short ingredient list that is easy to pronounce and ingredients that are considered whole foods. If there is high fructose corn syrup or any other similar ingredients, I will put it back on the shelf. If I do reach for processed foods, I try to make sure it is minimally processed.


(Photos By: Danielle)

The snacks I got for this grocery haul include Protes, which I got in Spicy Chili Lime and Zesty Salsa. These chips also come in Barbeque, Coconut, and Caramel. Protes are great for protein and appropriate for people who avoid GMOs or are gluten-free, vegetarian, or vegan. These are pretty allergen friendly just like the rest of the products in this post. I also LOVE the “15g protein,  zero-g guilt” slogan on their package!

(photos by Danielle)


Beanfields are also another one of my favourites and for this trip to the store, I bought Pico De Gallo, Jalapeño Nacho, and regular Nacho. They have many other flavours that are just as delicious as the ones I got during this trip. Some of the other vegan varieties include black bean, white bean, barbecue, and sea salt. If you can not find these during your trip, there is also a very similar brand to this called Late July. Both of these brands are great for nachos and I recommend their varieties.

Natures Bakery has also put out some wonderful products. In this trip I bought, the dark chocolate brownie flavour. These are great for if you are vegan or unable to have dairy for health reasons like me. These are a great alternative to still get that flavour, but in a healthier way. These brands are wonderful because there are so many that are accommodating to allergies and you do not have to sacrifice taste because of a health condition or dietary restriction.


Primal Pantry Bars are other products that I purchase from time to time. I have tried several flavours of the Primal Pantry products and I have been pleased. The varieties I have tried include hazelnut cocoa and cherry brazil nut. Their website also shows that they are putting out an acai berry super seed variety that I am eager to try if I find it in stores!

Chia Seeds are also a top item I purchase because they are great paired with so many things including smoothies and oatmeal. All of these products have been favourites of mine for a while now and I hope others have had great experiences with these products as well. I hope everyone has a great weekend and if you go grocery shopping I recommend trying some of these products. Let me know about some of your favorite on the go snacks!

-Danielle

Comments

  1. This is a really great post, though I'm not a vegetarian, I still think these snacks would be a great healthy alternative. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this post! We are vegetarians (mostly) and I love discovering new healthy snacks for my family. My kids are really open to trying new things so I'm definitely going to be on the look out for these snacks to try...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is sometimes tough to get kids to eat healthy so that is wonderful you are doing this and that they are open :)

      Delete
  3. This is a great post. Im not vegetarian but I like vegetarian food better than meat and am always looking for healthy snacks. Natures bakery looks like it has a great selection

    ReplyDelete
  4. With my job as a server I work long hours and usually don't have time to sit down and eat during my shift - thanks for sharing these options that would be great for a quick bite when I can't take a break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fully understand! With grad school and working several jobs I am sometimes gone from my house all day all night for HOURS. It can get hectic, but fortunately these brands have delicious products

      Delete
  5. I love having healthy snack options. These sounds tasty and I’m sure my family will enjoy them also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! My family eats omni but my dad always steals my snacks haha

      Delete
  6. Great snack ideas! I bet my children would absolutely love them. We are not vegetarian, but love healthy options!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I imagine these would be wonderful for trying to get kids to eat healthy

      Delete
  7. Such a good post. So informative and it reminds me just how many healthy options I do actually have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I always try to check products out nutrition wise on fooducate or myfitnesspal lately and these all seem great

      Delete
  8. I am not vegetarian but i do like to have meatless Mondays so these are some good snacking tips.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its the first time that I've heard this kind of chips, I mean the name of Chips especially "Protes" It appeals to me like Protein type of snack and looking at it description “15g protein, zero-g guilt” that's pretty cool. I would love to try this,since I'm a chips lover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one of the things that got my attention and made me want to purchase them. It gets me excited about making lifestyle changes.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for introducing these snacks. We are not vegetarians but we are heavy snackers, so choosing the right snack is important for us. I will get a bunch of these snacks for me and my family to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course. People in my family love snacking so we try to find the ones with the most simple ingredients.

      Delete
  11. these are great ideas! i would totally love to try those chips. we're not vegetarians but we often eat meatless meals. this is a great suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  12. All of these look so yummy. I will have to check these snacks out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is my first time to hear about that chip. I would love to try this chip. But I am thinking if this chip would available in our area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course. On most websites you can see where the closest location is to you that sells them. I would check their website.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Healthy & Flavorful Vegan Meals

Veganism and Animals: Does veganism really help animals?

Healthy Snacks