7 Tips For Buying Products That Last




It was requested on our Youtube channel to talk about my opinions on Fast Fashion and I did just that in our latest video (it can be found at the bottom of this article). When I was pulling together my ideas for the video, I thought it would be really cool to also talk about tips for buying items that last.

When I was a teenager I had no idea how to buy items that would last. I would just find something I really liked at the store and I would wing it. Sometimes it would last, and sometimes it would not. As I got older and more concerned with how my actions affected the internet and the world around me, I started to care more about purchasing items that would last.

These are my tips and tricks for buying items that will last



-Avoid red and orange items. Red and orange items always fade first. This rule only applies when buying clothing and anything that is made out of fabric. If red is your absolute favorite color, then you might want to make sure that you will be able to redye it at a later time.

-Items that last a long time, also tend to cost more. Items that last longer cost, in some cases, 30% more than it's lesser quality counterparts. This doesn't mean that every item that cost more will last longer, you also want to check the quality of the item you are purchasing.

-Avoid purchasing products made out of plastic. Not only is plastic horrible for the environment, it is not very durable either. Try buying items that are made out of wood, metal, or glass.

- Check and see how "bendy" it is. For example, when I am purchasing a cutting board I always pick it up and see how easily it can bend. If it gives easily, then it may not be the best choice. The easier it bends the easier it will be to break it.



- Try to avoid the newest fashion trends. The more fashionable something is, the less likely it will last very long. There are new trends every few months, so those items are only meant to last a few months.

- Learn to make simple repairs. Unfortunately, items will have some wear and tear after years of use. This is when it is useful to know how to repair it or know of a service that can repair it for you. I have found, that you can find easy to follow tutorials on Youtube for most simple repairs.

- When an item finally reaches the point where it can no longer be used for its original purpose, try to upcycle it! Make it into something else that you can use. If it is completely broken and can not be reused, make sure that you are recycling that item correctly so it does not end up in the landfill.


Comments

  1. I so love to shop you shared some great tips will use them next time I shop
    come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the video & post! I shy away from trends and typically stick with vintage pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some really great tips here! I didnt realise that about orange/red items either! Everyday is a school day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been hard but i have learnt to avoid the latest trends and opted for stylish and classic. As a result my wardrobe has grown nicely and lasted many years

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice post. I enjoyed reading it. I have moved away from buying trendy, in fashion clothing. Although, I must confessed that I have been in love with this year's color trend: rose gold. Aside from that I always try to buy more classy, and stylish clothes that I can keep wearing year after year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Effective tips for us who love fast fashion, our generation are like this now a day lukily for me I still try to buy just simple one not to fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true on the red and orange items! They do fade so fast! White is another for me too I just can't keep it clean!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those tips are great! I totally agree that it is better to buy products that will last. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these tips! I used to love more quantity than quality, but now is opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting tips! I am definitely not a "fashionista" and do not follow any particular trends, other than to dress comfortably and appropriately for my age (59!) I hadn't heard about the issue with orange and red clothing, and I do occasionally buy clothes in those colors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely agree with your suggestion to not buy things made out of plastic... I worry about plastic leeching into my children's food so everything I buy from milk to yogurt etc is in a glass bottle... Bulk items such as rice, beans, etc I scoop at the store and put in glass as soon as we're home.... shell

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think sewing is a lot art. My grandma was a seamstress and I can stitch up a rip or button in a jiffy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love knowing all of these tips and like to buy thing that I can have for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very good tips. I don't follow fashion trends. I stick with the standard, basic type of clothing and I get the ones in my favorite colors - earth tones so that would be in shades of brown, blue, and green.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Healthy & Flavorful Vegan Meals

Veganism and Animals: Does veganism really help animals?

Healthy Snacks