Vegan Apple Pie Recipe!!

We’ve had an exciting week, my sister, Sam turned 25 years old today! She has been my best friend since I can remember, and she's always been the most supportive of my vegan lifestyle. When I want to try a new vegan restaurant, she joins me. When I try to make a traditional comfort food vegan, she's my taste-tester. I take her opinions to heart and she always gives it to me straight.

20160913_1330261

Sam is unique in every way. Even when she celebrates her birthday, she doesn't want a traditional birthday cake, she asks for pie. Apple pie.

For about 3 or 4 years now I've baked her an apple pie, and my mom also brings a store bought one to the party. Sam isn't shy about her opinions (BRUTALLY honest is putting it lightly), and in past years my pies have been not sweet enough, too crusty, and had ugly lattice work.

20140703_170830 

Last year's pie... the bottom crust was too thick!
Every year I try to perfect the recipe, so when she told me today that my apple pie recipe was the best she's ever tasted, I could have cried. When the rest of the family started complementing the taste, I started daydreaming about opening a bakery and serving vegan fruit pies nationwide.

Vegan Apple Pie

Ingredients

  • 3-5 Granny Smith apples depending on size
  • 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar, separated
  • 3 1/2 cups plus 2 tbsp flour, separated
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • dash of salt
  • 3/4 cup shortening or coconut oil (I used Crisco today)
  • 3/4 cup ice cold water


20160912_180425[1].jpg 

I already had everything but apples to make this

1.Peel and thinly slice the apples, set aside. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.

     2. To make the pie crust dough, mix the 3 1/2 cups flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, and salt together in a medium bowl. Add the solid oil and mix until it has a crumbly consistency. Add the cold water, 1/4 cup at a time, until a flaky, dry dough ball forms. Try to make it as dry as possible while still staying together, because this makes a flakier crust.

20160912_1910291

3. Split the dough ball into two smaller dough balls, and roll them both out as thin as possible while remaining even. To do this, I flip my pie pan upside down and use it as a guide to make a circle, then roll the cut-out circle out a little larger than the top of the pie pan.

20160912_1926381 

If there isn't flour all over your kitchen, you're doing it wrong.

4. To make the filling, combine the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar, 2 tablespoons of flour, 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, and juice of 1 lemon in a small bowl or cup. The lemon will clump the sugar mixture up, so be sure to combine well.


5. To assemble the pie, first lay one of the two dough circles inside your pie pan. Add about 1/3 of the apple slices to the pie, then top with about 1/3 of the filling mixture. Continue layering the apples and sugar mixture until you run out, with the remainder of the sugar mix on top. Cover all the filling with the second dough circle. Press together the edges of the pie crusts to seal, and I like to put a little design on top, so it doesn't steam inside.

20160912_1928401 

Apples and filling.


20160912_1949171  

pressed the edges together with a fork and tried to make cuts resembling the inside of an apple... Looks more like a sand dollar!

6. Top with a vegan "egg wash" of choice (or don't). I'll admit this is something I forgot about while making my pie. I did top it with a little sugar water, but next time I may use maple syrup and see it that will brown a little nicer. Bake for about 30-40 minutes! My pie was a little brown around the edges, that could have been avoided by putting tin foil around the edge of the pie for the last 10 minutes.

20160913_1455061 

Happy 25th Birthday Sam!!

20160913_1456261 

Make a wish!
Shortly after she blew out the candles, we all dove right into the pie. It was delicious!
Do you guys celebrate your birthdays with something other than the traditional cake? Let me know in a comment!

Comments

  1. I tried pie like this, and it was so tasty! I want to try to make it now. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love apple pies! And this recipe looks easy to make. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy pie is my favorite pie! This looks so yummy!! I love how super easy it is to make and can't wait to give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how few ingredients you actually need to make this. Seems super easy and looks good! happy birthday to your sister (: it's always nice to have that person in your life to tell it like it is (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I am not ready to go full on vegan I love adding a few vegan dishes to my recipe box. Definitely pinning for later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. its a great time of year to find this awesome recipe thanks for sharing
    come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious, and of course, it is the season for apple pies and other apple treats. I like how you turned the pie into a birthday pie with the candles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This would be great to share with a friend of mine who has a few vegan friends. I think they would love to make something like this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Healthy & Flavorful Vegan Meals

Veganism and Animals: Does veganism really help animals?

Healthy Snacks