Vegan Sour Cream Coffee Cake



    Happy Tuesday everybody! I hope everybody had a fantastic weekend. I just celebrated my 20th birthday on Saturday. Today, I decided to go back to some sweets that we all know and love. We are going to be making a sour cream coffee cake today! It is so yummy, you can't even tell that is is vegan. So, there are different ways you can make sour cream vegan. You can do the cashew sour cream, or you can use the recipe for tofu sour cream. Since I am on a HUGE tofu kick, I will be using the tofu sour cream recipe. I overall enjoyed making this recipe. 

    It didn't take much time to make it at all. Just as long as you have the ingredients, and you have the recipe in hand, you will be prepared for anything. Overall, it takes about 20-25 minutes for prep, and about 45 minutes to an hour to bake. I made this when I was still going to the Culinary Institute of Virginia in our Alternative Baking class. It kind of sucked the first time we made it, but we had used store bought vegan sour cream, or I don't think we used sour cream at all. And it was REALLY gross. But, I made it again a little while ago, and I homemade my own vegan sour cream. I was not disappointed the second time. So, in essence, don't forget any portion of the recipe, or it will suck.



    I am going to stress this one more time, because repetition is key: USE SILKEN TOFU FOR THE SOUR CREAM!!!! Extra firm will add chunks to it, and I am almost 100% sure nobody wants chunky vegan sour cream. :) I love coffee cake, so being able to make this was amazing for me..But, I am also a huge coffee person who loves to pair cake with her morning brew, so I could be a bit biased on this one. I hope you all enjoy this weeks recipe, and tell me what y'all think of this recipe!


Ingredients for Tofu Sour Cream:

  • 1 pound Silken Tofu
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
  • 2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
  • Dash of salt
Directions for Tofu Sour Cream:

  • Put everything in a blender, and blend until smooth. Taste, and adjust seasonings as needed.

Ingredients for Coffee Cake:

  • 1 cup sugar
  • 4 Tbsp vegan margarine
  • 4 Tbsp applesauce or mashed banana (I prefer banana)
  • 3 tsp of Ener-G egg replacer mixed with 3 Tbsp water
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 tsp baking baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 cup of Vegan sour cream
  • Dash of salt
Ingredients for Filling:

  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
Directions for Coffee Cake:

  • Preheat oven to 350
  • Cream together butter, sugar, and applesauce or banana
  • Add egg replacer/water mixture
  • Combine flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a small bowl.
  • Add half the dry ingredients, and half of the sour cream mixture and mix
  • Add the rest of the ingredients and mix
  • In another bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon for filling
  • In a pan (could be bundt pan, or a regular baking pan), pour half the batter in the pan.
  • Pour the filling in next, then add the remaining amount of batter in the pan
  • Bake for 45 minutes.
  • Let cool before removing it from the pan
  • ENJOY!!!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Healthy & Flavorful Vegan Meals

Veganism and Animals: Does veganism really help animals?

Healthy Snacks