Recreating Meals You Order Out



If you find eating out to be expensive, you may want to prepare more meals at home. These recipes are great for college because some of these can be made in a microwave. Sometimes I like to try to find ways to recreate items off the menu that I have had and spin them into my own twist based on the ingredients I have in my house. When I want a certain food but do not have the time to go out, I can try to make those at home for cheaper.

Some of my favorite meals can be made in just a matter of minutes. I love making versions of sandwiches, pizzas, and burgers that I have ordered out at restaurants. These are not always the healthiest option and not what I eat when I am by myself. However, these are what most of the junk food loving people in my life want to eat. I'm not always eating vegan junk food, but when I do it is with guests or family to show other people how much these brands usually taste exactly the same as the other options they currently consume. I make a lot of these for my family and love cooking for them. My family has been asking me a lot to make Gardein products and that is wonderful to hear! I am beyond delighted that they have been enjoying both the healthy and the less healthy plant-based dishes.

This recipe was inspired by a hoagie that I had ordered out. I have used some vegetables and seasonings. I usually use greens, tomatoes, onions, peppers, olives, and any other shredded vegetable. For toppings, I usually use dressing and oregano.

(photos by Danielle)


(photos by Danielle)

For my creation, I used the Earth Balance sour cream and onion kettle chips. I had always loved sour cream and onion chips but I do not eat them that often because I prefer healthier foods. When you are with friends this is a wonderful junk food to bring. If anyone it lactose intolerant/allergic to dairy like myself, these fortunately happen to be vegan.

Another product that happens to be dairy free is the tomato basil soup from the brand Pacific. I love creamy tomato soup, but shopping for it in store is difficult because I can not have milk. Fortunately, I found a vegan one that tastes just like the non vegan ones I’ve had. If this is not sold at your location there are a lot of delicious brands like Imagine, Amy's, and McDougals.
I like to make pizzas especially when the weather is colder. For this pizza, I use vegan cheese and veggies. I use red bell peppers, zucchini, greens, and olives.  

(photos by Danielle)


(photos by Danielle)

I also have made burger and mac and cheese recipes. I used Gardein and Amy's. These are some of my favorite brands. The mac and cheese is always one I would recommend especially if you are in a rush and need a fast meal. These are typically some of the things I make for junk food lovers when they want to try vegan food.

(photos by Danielle)

I have also made sauces for these burgers using dressing, nutritional yeast and spices.

(photos by Danielle)

If you want a creamy pasta, I like to combine vegan cream cheese with something else because when it is blended it has a nice flavor.

Happy Friday everyone! Hope you create some of these recipes or enjoy some of these brands over the weekend!
-Danielle

Comments

  1. I love trying to make healthy home versions of my favourite restaurant dishes! Sometimes it doesn't go to plan but sometimes I have a lovely dish thats healthy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Even if it doesnt turn out the way you want, it can be a good chance to see what works and what needs to be changed for next time.

      Delete
  2. I often sit and wonder how to make a meal when I'm eating out. Which is why I tend to try the more complicated stuff, thinking, "I can't make this at home"/"this would be too much trouble" and never order a salad. It's probably a bad habit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that. Sometimes I try to order things out that would be complicated to make at home.

      Delete
  3. This week has been nuts, so we've eaten out way too many times. I need to rein it in and go back to making dinner at home. These recreations sound like a great way to great the flavors we love from around town, without the added cost.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Healthy & Flavorful Vegan Meals

Veganism and Animals: Does veganism really help animals?

Healthy Snacks