What's for Dinner?



Hope everyone had a great week!

Do you get tired of hearing "What's for dinner?" and then getting the response "Not that again!"

 Are these common phrases in your house?

I may have a solution for you!

This week's creation!

Sometimes I feel like I am a contestant on the Food Network Show "Chopped". I used to have random ingredients and struggled to come up with a meal. Over the years I have gotten pretty good at this and at this point enjoy challenging myself to come up with quick, easy and inventive meal that tastes good. I am not one for planning meals in advance so a lot of times I make up things as I go. I often incorporate leftovers into new creations. Todays recipe is simple but made a delicious meal. The idea originated last night when I walking around Chelsea Market in lower Manhattan. Chelsea Market is full of history and was the original home of the National Biscuit Company also known as the Nabisco Factory. It is now an urban food court and shopping mall. Some of the tables at the various restaurants were located in the halls so the various foods that were being served were in plain view as we were strolling by. One thing in particular caught my eye. The server brought a whole roasted cauliflower to one of the tables. It looked and smelled delicious. So this was my inspiration for this week's recipe

Roasted Cauliflower with Diced Sweet Potatoes

Head of Cauliflower (trimmed)
Sweet Potatoes ( I had a bad of ten small potatoes but a few large ones will be fine)
1 Cup of Coconut Milk
1 Tablespoon of buttered flavored Coconut Oil (Coconut oil would work)
Garlic Powder
Parsley flakes
Salt and pepper
Cilantro
Paprika
Red Pepper flakes (optional)

I poured a cup of coconut milk in the dutch oven and placed the whole cauliflower in the center. I peeled and diced the sweet potatoes and put them around the cauliflower. I rubbed the cauliflower with the coconut oil. sprinkled with the garlic, parsley, some chopped cilantro and salt and pepper. I then covered and placed in a 350 degree oven for about an hour. Once the cauliflower is tender, you are done. I sprinkled the paprika on before serving and added some of the red pepper flakes to give it a little kick. It was tasty and filling. The coconut milk gave the potatoes a sweetness and the red pepper flakes just gave enough heat to balance the dish.
Ready to be served just need a dash of paprika and cilantro garnish!



Hope some of you will take me up on this challenge!

Another hint for this week, take advantage of the manager specials at your local supermarket. The produce is usually marked down because it needs to be used right away. I picked up two large bags of yellow, red and orange peppers for $2.00 a bag. These peppers can usually sell for $3.99 a pound in my local area on a good day.The peppers were in great condition so I cut a bunch in strips and froze them, roasted a bunch of them, plan on using some of the whole ones for vegan stuffed peppers and cut some into rings for snacking. This is a great way to save money and utilize fruits and vegetables that may be discarded.

Looking forward to coming up with some great recipes for you!

Until next week...

With Gratitude,

Trudy


.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Healthy & Flavorful Vegan Meals

Veganism and Animals: Does veganism really help animals?

Healthy Snacks