The Lazy Vegan’s Mac & Cheese Recipe

            When my friend Madison cooked me this mac and cheese for the first time, I was shocked at how delicious it tasted. It reminded me of that Velveeta mac and cheese because its so rich and creamy. She made it again for a pot luck we went to and EVERYONE (even the non-vegans) at the event was raving about it and saying it was the best mac and cheese they have had. I wanted to make it for my mom, aka the biggest cheese lover I know, and see if even she would like it. I asked Madison for the recipe, she sent it to me, and I was shocked! It was basically the easiest recipe I have ever seen. I would not even call it a “recipe”, just throwing some things in a pot. Long story short, I made it in like 15 minutes and even my mom loved it. So, I thought I should share it with everyone!
            I know Daiya vegan cheese gets a bad reputation in the vegan community, but give it a chance in this recipe! I usually do not like Daiya but I promise it works in this case. You do not need to add in any vegetables, but on this day, I decided to chop up some broccoli and red pepper to add some extra health and texture. It tastes great either way!


Ingredients
1 Box of pasta (I used shells but penne is another good choice, any kind works)
1 Packet of Daiya Cheddar shreds
1 Packet of Daiya Mozerella shreds
¼ cup of (vegan) bread crumbs
Salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast to taste
Optional: Broccoli, red pepper, or veggies of choice.

Directions
Pour box of pasta into a large pot. Add enough water just to cover the noodles. Bring to a boil. Add veggies if desired. Cook until noodles are soft adding in more water (or unsweetened almond milk) if needed. When noodles are soft, the liquid should be all evaporated. If it is not, just drain it and return to pot. Empty both packets of Daiya cheese into the pasta and stir until it is all combined. Add salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast to taste. Do NOT skimp on the salt! It really brings out the flavor of the cheese. Stir to combine and taste as you add. Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top. Serve warm and enjoy!
            If you want to kick this up a notch, you can pour this into a baking dish and then sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top and bake it in the oven at 350 for a few minutes. I do this if I am serving it to a large group of people that I want to impress! I made it for my non-vegan family on Christmas day and everyone enjoyed it. It makes it taste restaurant-worthy while still requiring almost no cooking skills. Let me know if you try this out and share it with non-vegans. I love to know how surprised people are at delicious vegan food.


Comments

  1. Love Your Own Magic and TBB Soul on Fire!! I'm always carrying a rose quartz or tigers eye with me now ;) These podcasts are amazing! I'm also loving Earth to Us and The Health Code right now :) Great post Karlee!
    sales pop
    sales pop master
    koi Nhật

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Healthy & Flavorful Vegan Meals

Veganism and Animals: Does veganism really help animals?

Healthy Snacks