Top Ways To Beat The Common Cold Naturally

Last week I had the worst cold! I am not a fan of taking over the counter medicine, and I try to avoid it at all costs. This means, when I get sick I have a few secrets that I swear by to help clear up any cold I may get.

It is also important to note that technically, there is no way to cure a cold, but these tips can help you feel better faster!

With cold season quickly approaching us, I thought this would be a really good time to share my tried and true ways to beat a common cold naturally.

Some of these things may seem like common sense, but I decided to put them in because the better you take care of yourself, the faster you will recover (or you may not get sick at all!)




-Hydrate

When you are sick, be sure to drink more water than you typically would. Your body is working hard and your body needs the extra water to get the "ick" out of you.

The recommended amount is to drink 9-13 8 ounce glasses a day while you are sick. If you are suffering from a sore throat, you can try drinking warm water to help soothe the discomfort.


-Tea

I am not typically a fan of tea, but when I am sick you can usually find me with a cup of warm tea with lemon juice and maple syrup (a great vegan alternative for honey in tea).

Try adding ginger to your tea! Ginger is a root that has antiviral and antibacterial properties. It even helps reduce the bodies production of mucus!




Eucalyptus Essential Oil

Eucalyptus is an ingredient found in much different over the counter cold medicines, cough drops, cough syrups, and rubs. Since I like to skip all of the medicins, I go straight to the source.

Eculyptics Essential oil is the best essential oil I own when I am sick. I put it in my defuser, add a few drops to a warm bath and add it to my lotion (or mix it with coconut oil) and rub it on my chest. I have this oil blend that is perfect for defusing when I am sick!

**Do not ingest eucalyptus oil unless you are advised by a medical professional**


-Vitamin C

Vitamin C is essential for feeling better. I take Vitamin C tablets when I start feeling sick until I have completely gotten over my cold. Other ways you can get vitamin c is through citrus juices and tropical fruits like pineapple and papaya.




-Eating right

Making sure you are putting the best foods in your body is a for sure way to prevent yourself from getting sick, but it can also help you feel better when you are sick.

Try eating small nutritious meals of whole nutritious foods. You want to choose foods that are easy to digest on your body. Try eating foods high in antioxidants like red peppers, berries, and leafy dark greens.


-Netty Pot

The first time I heard about netty potting I thought it was absolutely disgusting. Man, was I wrong. There have been many times where netty potting was my saving grace. It improves my quality of life so much when I am sick. If you have never tried it, I highly suggest you give it a shot.

Using a netty pot will help clear all of the mucus out of your nasal passages through a process called nasal irrigation.


Extra Tip: Garlic as antibacterial and antiviral properties, this means it helps boost your immune system!

Comments

  1. These are very good suggestions for people dealing with the common cold, thanks to the weather. I always make sure to eat fruits that are rich in vitamin C and I drink water constantly as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Healthy & Flavorful Vegan Meals

Veganism and Animals: Does veganism really help animals?

Healthy Snacks