Recipe!! Vegan Shepherd's Pie

Hello! One of my all-time favorite things to make before I transitioned to a plant based diet, was shepherds pie. I made it once in culinary class while I was in High School and I have been hooked ever since. Traditional Shepherd's pie has lamb or beef in it and is usually topped with cheese. So, obviously, this would not work with my new lifestyle.

The other day I was really craving shepherd's pie, this inspired me to come up with a recipe that would be vegan. I also thought it would be fun to compose the shepherd's pie in a potato kind of like a twice baked potato. This works out super well if you ar not cooking for enough people to make an entire casserole dish.

This Shepherd's Pie is also very cost efficient. I paid $0.65 per serving for this dish. The lentils will give the dish a meat like texture and will be similar to the traditional dish. If you are looking for a cheap and delicious meal to make this is the recipe for you! 

Did you try this recipe? Do you hate it? Do you love it? Have a request for another recipe you would like us to try? Leave it in the comments!

 ~Stella~

If you use this recipe or even put your own spin on it take a picture and tag us in it on Facebook at The Smoothie Vegetarians, or tag us on Instagram @smoothievegetarians or Twitter @smoothievegies!


Vegan Shepherd's Pie Recipe
Serves: 2-4

-4 baked potatoes
-1 cup of cooked lentils
-1 bag of frozen mixed vegetables
-1 tablespoon cooking oil
-1 Garlic clove minced
-1/2 onion diced
-Sage (or you can use oregano)
-1 tablespoon of vegan butter
-Salt and Pepper to taste
-Vegan Gravy (I used store bought gravy but you can make your own check out our gravy recipe HERE)

1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Cut the top off of the potatoes and scoop out the center
3. Save the potatoes you take out
4. Add the cooking oil, frozen vegetables, onion, and garlic into a skillet
5. Cook until 3/4ths of the was cooked
6. Add the lentils and seasonings
7. Move heat down to low
8. Stir until everything is mixed and heated thoroughly
9. Scoop vegetable mixture into potatoes
10. Take left-over potatoes and mix them with the vegan butter
11. Scoop the potato mixture on top of the potato
12. Put the potatoes in the over for 20 minutes
13. Pull potatoes out of the oven
14. Let cool for 5-10 minutes
15. Top with Gravy
16. Serve
ENJOY

Comments

  1. I love the idea of the shepherd's pie being stuffed inside a potato! I bet kids love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a cute recipe - I love these stuffed potatoes! I wonder if they would freeze well too?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such comfort food. Perfect for these cold weather days. And love your creative use of the potato!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Healthy & Flavorful Vegan Meals

Veganism and Animals: Does veganism really help animals?

Healthy Snacks