Eating Healthy Meals at Chain Restaurants (Part 1)

(photos by Danielle)


A lot of people feel like transitioning to a healthier lifestyle will make it more difficult to be in situations like eating out. Going on to eat does not have to be difficult and there are so many articles and youtube videos showing you how to eat healthier/vegan/vegetarian when going to chain restaurants, even when there are not a lot of options. For a while, when I was going out to eat I was eating plant based at home, but struggled to stay that way when I went out. However, this does not have to be the case. You can still go out with friends and family and join in while still staying true to your morals and personal health goals. 

I will be naming some restaurants that I frequently go to and also tell you what I got along with some pictures. I will let you guys know how I navigate the menu when I go out to eat. First of all, I am unable to eat dairy to begin with and get very sick if I happen to have it. To combat this issue, many restaurants have an allergy menu on their website so that you are aware of everything that could be in your good along with possible cross contamination.


One of the places that has some good vegan options is Olive Garden. When you go there, there will be salad, spaghetti, and minestrone soup. Also, the best part, the breadsticks, happen to be vegan because guess what? Its garlic and oil, not butter! This is great for people who want to avoid dairy because of allergies or health reasons. 

When I go to the restaurant I usually do vinegar on the salad instead of the house dressing. In the picture below I have my leftovers pictured. I added some vegan ranch to the dressing on the salad and you can also add some vegan croutons and cheese. You can break up some Follow Your Heart or Chao cheese slices on your salad if you would like. 

(photos by Danielle)
(photos by Danielle)

(photos by Danielle)

I have also been to Chilis and there is a caribbean salad. If you are avoiding egg you can change the dressing it comes with for another one like the citrus balsamic vinaigrette.

Also, another option at Chili's is to get a bowl. It comes with rice, beans, tomato chunks, salsa, lettuce, onion, corn, and avocado. I will ask them to leave the meat and cheese off. If you want an alternative for meat and cheese, you can always do take out and bring it home to add the vegan meat and cheese. This is delicious and healthy!

(photos by Danielle)
(photos by Danielle)

At Bonefish, I like to order a bowl. They have one on the menu that I order and just ask them to leave the tuna off. It comes with rice, mango salsa, and avocado. You can also order the house salad and there are other vegetables you can get on the side if you want a bigger meal. 

(photos by Danielle)

When eating out, I love going to an Asian restaurant because I find there are always a decent amount of options there. My favorites include avocado, cucumber, and sweet potato rolls. If you are trying to be plant based, you can ask for it without the fish sauce if any of the veggie rolls come with it on. 

(photos by Danielle)

My family also likes to go to On the Border a lot. There is a portobello mushroom bowl and the texture is very meaty from there. It also comes with a cilantro lime rice, black beans, tomatoes, onions, peppers, and avocados. I ask them to leavethe dairy off and its good to go! I also love the chips and salsa from there as well. 

(photos by Danielle)

(photos by Danielle)

What are some plant based meals that you order at chain restaurants? 
-Danielle 

Comments

  1. Love this! Didnt know Chilis was so vegan-friendly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! They have some bowls on the menu! Im not sure if the location near me still has them since these are from a while ago but when I did order it I picked the Margarita Fresh Mex Bowl and then asked for it without meat and cheese and it was wonderful!

      Heres some more: https://veganuary.com/us/chain_restaurants/chilis/

      Delete
  2. It's not practical to list everything I eat here, but feel free to visit my blog and download your FREE Healthy Grocery List while you are here!
    amaira

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am extremely delighted in for this web journal. Its a useful subject. It help me all that much to take care of a few issues. Its chance are so awesome and working style so rapid. Full Report

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Your Own Magic and TBB Soul on Fire!! I'm always carrying a rose quartz or tigers eye with me now ;) These podcasts are amazing! I'm also loving Earth to Us and The Health Code right now :) Great post Karlee!
    sales pop
    sales pop master
    koi Nhật

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Healthy & Flavorful Vegan Meals

Veganism and Animals: Does veganism really help animals?

Healthy Snacks