Dijon Balsamic Dressing Recipe


For me summer means a lot of BBQs and salads. I love a good pasta salad or just a lettuce salad with all the toppings. But the key to a good salad is the dressing. The dressing can make or break a salad in my opinion. This dressing is one of my favorites.

Making your own dressing is one of the easiest things in the world. Even if you want something creamy it is easy to make vegan! You just need to do some research and experiment. Almond milk is a great substitution in creamy dressings. But the best vegan dressings are the oil based ones.


To create your own oil based dressing you need a good oil. I always use extra virgin olive oil because it adds a nice flavor and is light. Vinegar is another great thing to add to an oil based dressing. Try apple cider vinegar or my favorite, balsamic. But if you know anything about science you know that the oil and vinegar will not combine without a binder. That’s where the mustard comes in. Mustard is a great binder and it’s made using vinegar so the flavors go great together. With this knowledge you can make pretty much any oil dressing you can think of!

Dijon Balsamic Dressing
2-3 servings
1 T. Dijon Dressing
1 T. Agave
Salt & Pepper to taste
⅓ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
¼-⅓ Balsamic Vinegar to taste

Combine all ingredients in a mason jar and shake! You are done! This dressing can keep in the refrigerator for one to two weeks but honestly, it won’t last that long. Just make sure you shake it up really well before you use it! You want that mustard to bind the oil and vinegar and you shouldn’t see any mustard floating around. So now that you have this dressing what can you do with it? Well, I’m glad you asked.

I love to use this not only on a lettuce salad but on a pasta salad. I cook some rotini noodles and chop up cucumbers, tomatoes, olives - whatever I have on hand. Then I pour on this dressing and you have a great pasta salad to take to a summer BBQ or to keep all for yourself. I won’t tell.

My favorite lettuce salad is romaine lettuce, spring mix lettuce, tomatoes, avocado and bac-o bits. Spoilers, Bac-o Bits are vegan!! I know, it’s exciting. Then I just pour on the dressing and this makes a great lunch salad. For extra protein I add hemp seeds or edamame. What’s your favorite dressing? How do you use it? Let us know!

-Tori


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Healthy & Flavorful Vegan Meals

Veganism and Animals: Does veganism really help animals?

Healthy Snacks